CSF survey uncovers mental health concerns in intermediary sector

A growing number of the intermediary sector has revealed their overall level of mental wellbeing is of “concern”, new findings from Crystal Specialist Finance (CSF) have revealed.

The latest results of CSF’s Health and Wellbeing Survey showed that 17.57% of the intermediary sector claimed the issue was of concern, a figure up from 6.90% last August.

Around 95% of the respondents were directly authorised mortgage brokers or appointed representatives, with the remaining 5% being professional introducers, such as accountants and solicitors.

The survey results have been released at the start of Mental Health Awareness Week which is running between 10 and 16 May.

“Worryingly, almost 73% of those responding said their company did not participate in any mental health or wellbeing initiative, and 10% of all sick days taken in 2020 were as a result of mental health,” CSF group sales and marketing director, Jason Berry, commented.

“While we are all very aware that the market is very busy right now and the survey comes on the back of a tough lockdown winter, businesses and individuals must realise that the lack of a proper holiday and excessive working hours can have a detrimental effect on their lives and livelihoods.”

When asked about weekly working hours, respondents revealed that the number of people working over 45 hours per week has increased to 66.22%, up from 62.07%.

The government’s Working Time Directive states that workers cannot work more than 48 hours a week on average, certain jobs aside, based over a 17-week period.

Berry continued: “I and many of the leading financial service professionals who have joined the Health and Wellbeing Campaign, urge company owners, directors and managers to take the initiative, look how the last 12 months has changed working practices and consider what can be done to push mental health to the fore.”

    Share Story:

Recent Stories


Will open banking revolutionise the lending industry
Adam Cadle speaks to Jack Tenwick, Head of UK Sales, Yolt Technology Services, about how to get the most out of your lending business and the role of open banking

Mortgage Insider Series 2 Episode 7: Diversity: Pride Month
Listen to our latest episode where we discuss the importance of diversity and Pride month.



Why is it good for business to have a diverse and inclusive workforce? Nancy Kelley, CEO of Stonewall, and Hannah Bernard, Head of Business Banking at Barclays, tell us what it means to be allies to the LGBT+ community and how to challenge assumptions that create communication barriers.



Make Money Work For You.

FREE E-NEWS SIGN UP

Subscribe to our newsletter to receive breaking news and other industry announcements by email.

  Please tick here to confirm you are happy to receive third party promotions from carefully selected partners.