£75bn invested across 13 million ISAs in 19/20 tax year

A total £75bn was invested into 13 million ISAs during the 2019/20 tax year, representing an average investment of £5,740, new HMRC figures have revealed.

This is the fourth year running that ISA subscriptions have increased.

Figures also showed that total subscriptions increased by £7.1bn from 2018/19 figures, with a £4.6bn increase in cash ISAs and a £1.6bn increase for stocks and shares subscriptions.

The total market value of ISA holdings has increased 6% to £620bn, while HMRC also revealed that cash ISAs account for 51% of market value with stocks and shares accounting to the remaining 49%.

Furthermore, 18% of subscribers saved at the maximum in 2018/19, but HMRC revealed that this climbed to 40% of those with income of £100,000 to £149,999, and to 61% of those with income of £150,000 or more. The highest proportion of savers, equivalent to 44%, saved between £1 and £2,499.

Commenting on HMRC’s figures, Canada Life tax and wealth specialist, Neil Jones, said: “The statistics show that the popularity of ISAs continues to bounce back after the fall in 2016/17 which shows that investors still recognise the benefits available and seek to make use of them.”

Jones also described cash ISAs accounting for 75% of subscriptions as “surprising”, given the current low interest rates and the expectation that they will remain low.

He added: “Even though headline CPI is also low, the impact of inflation – especially a short-term spike caused by increased spending post-lockdown – could be damaging to cash investors.

“They could see the value of the investment fall in real terms and this could be more pertinent to the retired community who generally have higher inflation due to the constituent assets in the government’s inflation figures.”

    Share Story:

Recent Stories


Deep Neural Networks for FX Prediction
Adam Cadle speaks to Richard Turner Head of Research and Mike Emambakhsh, Ph.D. Senior Research Scientist at Mesirow Currency Management about their work with Machine Learning, specifically Deep neural networks for FX prediction.

Mortgage Insider Podcast Series 2 Episode 10: Building Resilience with Peter Brodnicki
We join Peter Brodnicki, CEO and co-founder of the Mortgage Advice Bureau, to reflect on the value of resilience in business. He tells us about lessons learned during his career, the challenges he’s faced since starting MAB 20 years ago and why it’s important to take risks and disrupt your own business.

Will open banking revolutionise the lending industry
Adam Cadle speaks to Jack Tenwick, Head of UK Sales, Yolt Technology Services, about how to get the most out of your lending business and the role of open banking

FREE E-NEWS SIGN UP

Subscribe to our newsletter to receive breaking news and other industry announcements by email.

  Please tick here to confirm you are happy to receive third party promotions from carefully selected partners.